Friday, January 16, 2015

First Step Towards Training

Well, I did it.  I joined the local gym.  I see this as the first big step towards getting myself trail ready by October.  My husband and I have been debating about whether or not we were going to join a gym.  With a membership, there's a monthly fee, and with walking/hiking outside there isn't.  However, it's January and that means outside is cold and when it's cold, I can come up with many different reasons why I can't possibly go out to get some exercise. So while it's a great idea in theory to save some money and exercise on your own, the reality is that never happens.  Plus, I have more reason to start getting into more of an exercise routine- my health issues.  Getting more consistent exercise and maybe shedding those last 30 pounds I need to shed will help quite a bit with my high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol.  I realize that all that makes me sound like someone who is averse to working out or being active, but I assure you, that isn't the case.  I am an active person.  I just don't want to be active outside with a 10 degree windchill.  So, since my husband was working late, I headed over to the Y to see what they had to offer in the way of promotions.  And because they were not only waiving the registration fee but also offering the first month free, I signed up.  Now there are no excuses not to be ready for this hike.  My game plan is to build up my core and back muscles and also building up my endurance.  While I could leave now and hike long distances no problem, with a 20-30 pound pack on my back things would be different. 
So here's to working out 
(and rewarding myself after with a soak in the whirlpool)

No comments:

Post a Comment