Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Starting the New Year Right

Usually at the beginning of the new year I make an in depth list of resolutions.  This year, I opted not to do that.  Most of the time I forget about them by the time February hits and then by about November I remember and scramble to try to complete the list, which I don't, and then I get all depressed about it.  For this year, I have a goal and that goal is this hike of the Maryland section of the Appalachian Trail.This trip is something I've always wanted to do.  It's an adventure.  But to be able to accomplish it, I need to make sure I do some things- like eating healthier and working out to get into back packing shape and working on finances in order to be able to afford the equipment that I'll need.  These are things I tended to focus on in my resolution list only now they aren't the focus, they're just the things I need to do to reap the reward of an awesome trip.  I'm hoping that switching things up and changing my focus will benefit me in the long run.  And if it works, next year I'll plan to hike another section, though I'm already planning on hiking the whole thing section by section anyway.  Unless, of course, I get out on the trail and find out that I absolutely hate back packing (I seriously doubt that will happen since I love hiking and I love camping and back packing is hiking and camping all at the same time). 

So, when January 1st rolled around, I made going on a hike a priority.  I wasn't able to go on the exact hike I had planned as I was sick the day before with a nasty stomach virus (I'll skip the gory details).  So my mom and my son and I headed to Gettysburg and took a short non strenuous hike through part of the battlefield.  I was probably pushing myself a little too much so soon after being so sick, but they say whatever you're doing the first day of a new year is what you'll be doing throughout the year to come.

I don't know about you, but I want to be on the trail as much as possible this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment