Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Getting Out There

Sunday, I made it out on the trail.  Well, not the trail, but a trail at a local state park.  I was joined by my husband, mother and friend who are also going on the big hike plus my son and my friend's son and husband. The trail was muddy and mostly covered in snow, but the temperature was in the low 40's and the wind had stopped. 
Even though this trail is only about 20 minutes from my house, it was the first time I had been on it. The trail is about 1.5 miles and works its way around Lake Marburg.  It's the steeper of the 2 trails there in the park, so it gave us the opportunity to start working on climbing hills.  It also provided insight into who was more adept at following the trail (my husband won't be navigating) and what some of the concerns might be (my husband is worried about food).
This has been the best hike out of the few I've managed so far this year.  Though not as long as I had hoped, it did offer some different terrain.  While going to the gym and working out is definitely something that is needed, nothing compares to actually going out and hiking the trails.  Letting your body experience the actual conditions you're working on tackling (like terrain) prepares you more than working on the smooth elliptical or treadmill.  And nothing compares to being out in nature, which is also a mood booster.  All in all, it was a great way to spend some time in the afternoon with friends and family.  And did I mention not once did my 8 year old ask "How much further" or "Are we almost done" or "Can we go back", instead he asked if we could turn around and hike it again in the opposite direction. Though we didn't turn around and hike back (though part of me is sorry we didn't), we do plan on going out at least once each weekend to hike various trails in the area.  There will also be some overnight trips planned once the weather improves.  I am beyond excited about all of it, not just the actual trip (though I'm soo ready to go!) but all the preparing leading up to it.  Knowing there are going to be regular hikes each week gives me something to look forward to.
So, for those of you dealing with the winter blues or SAD or depression or couch potatoitis, get out there.  Take your kids and go outside and hike.  It really does make you happier. 

Photo of 4 out of the 7 of our motley crew of hikers who 
will be braving the section hike in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment